Monday, January 17, 2011

First Post

I've been inspired to right this blog after reading Travis C's blog @ finallyairborne.blogspot.com.  I'm attempting to accomplish the same thing as him because like he was I am sick of pretending I'm ok with being overweight.  I actually already began running 1 week ago and checked in @ 325 lbs last Monday.  The first day was tough but I did a run/walk for 24 mins and 1.7 miles.  Tuesday 25 mins 1.85 miles.  Wednesday 30 mins 2.24 miles running for 17 straight mins this day, which was the first time I had done that in probably 8 years. Thursday 30 2.18 miles.  Thursday was real tough and so I decided my body needed a breather and I took Friday off.  My goal is 5 days a week+ of running.  So Saturday I got ready to run even though I wasn't sure I really wanted to but I went anyhow.  Once I got there  I started my 2 mins of warmup walking and then running @ 5mph.  By about the 7 min mark I was amazed how good I felt and so I decided I would see just how far I could push myself and I set the goal that I would complete a 5k straight of running.  And to my amazement, I felt amazing the whole time and finished the 5k by running 37 mins straight.  From that moment on, I have had a smile on my face; I can do this,  I can run a 5k, I can lose this weight, and I will.

This morning  I weighed in @ 319 and felt great so  I grabbed my workout bag and headed off to work.  Tonight after work I'm just going to get on the treadmill and see how I feel.  Who knows maybe I'll run another 5k, all I know is I'm excited about running and that is something I never thought I would say.

3 comments:

  1. Greg, I just found your blog from Travis' site. I am you, only 19 years older. Similar height and started at exactly your starting weight. 10 months later, I am down about 40 pounds and I am running for the first time in my life.

    Stay with it. You seem very determined and I will be following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I didn't expect anyone to find this blog, but thought it might make me stick with it as I will be help more accountable. Just curious how exactly did you find it? Did you just randomly click on my name? I just want to make sure I didn't somehow advertise it as I have no intention of using Travis' success to garner a following. I just need to use Travis as motivation which I'm sure he won't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it was Travis' site, where he put a link to your site...this happens all the time and is great.

    You will rock this. Just don't quit, through the emotional highs and lows.

    ReplyDelete