Sunday, April 3, 2011

Cherish your mental weapons

Today was one of those days where running was the last thing I wanted to do.  I was lethargic and unmotivated. Go figure it's the day of my long run for training.

I stood up and just told myself, I gotta get out there no matter what.  It was a mental battle from the beginning.  The entire run I was doubting myself, after a half mile I was tired and sweating pretty good, I didn't hydrate very well before hand, and my legs were feeling very heavy.  I just kept telling myself to push farther and that was already at 1.5 miles normally that hasn't been needed until about a mile left.  Once I got to the 2 miles out distance, I was extending my normal route to a new area which seemed to give me somewhat of a boost or at least a distraction to my mind telling me to just quit.  Then I got to 2.5 miles, all I had to do was turn around and go home, I knew where I had to go and exactly how far and what it would feel like.  The last 2.5 miles wasn't bad at all, the mental wall had fallen down and I knew I was going to be able to do this.

I finished 5 miles in 50.5 minutes.  My legs felt great afterwards, hell I still feel great an hour later.  The sense of accomplishment is incredible.  I'm not sure why but 5 miles just always seemed to be a distance that was way far out of reach.  I always thought "I could probably run 3 miles if I had to", "4 is long but maybe if I walk I can do it", "Ha, 5 miles, not a chance." Well so long to that thought.  Actually I've just pushed it farther out, there is something about 5, 10, 13.1, 20, 26.2 that just seem like roadblocks.  I've crossed one off the list now its on to the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment