Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Seeing Results

Went for my workout yesterday which was a difficult one to say the least.  Not anything longer than before but my legs were burning from trying to keep a new cadence of around 180 spm.  I was able to do this but not at a slow pace, it definitely gave me a boost of speed to run at that cadence.  It didn't feel like I was really doing all that much different as far as breathing goes what stopped me was my legs were burning like crazy after about the first mile.  So I walked a little while then ran some more and alternated this until I hit about 2.7 miles.  I ran all this on the track which is where I really need to improve since in about a month I have to do a 5k outdoors, no soft cushioning of the treadmill.   Today I'm going to just walk on a good incline to get the heart going but give me legs a day to recover and then hit the track hard again tomorrow to build up that muscle. 

Something a little different today, most of my weight loss journey so far has consisted of 4-5 days straight of almost exactly the same weight and then all of a sudden I'll lose a few.  Well from Sunday to Monday I went down about 1.5 lbs and then yesterday to today I dropped another 0.8 lbs.  Its nice to see it not be stagnant and I'd really like to hit my goal of 30 lbs down before the 5k.  I'm almost halfway there and it has only been about a month with another month to go so if anything I'll get close.  My goal for the 5k first off is just to finish it because I've never done any running race except for the Fat Guy 4x100m Relay in high school track and also the 300m hurdles (just because there was an open spot, crossed at about 1 minute :p).  Second, I would like to finish in under 30 mins without walking.  That is a stretch goal but I think the adrenaline of the day might help and I've been averaging around 10 min/m so far on the track I just have to extend the distance my legs can handle without getting tired.  If I can keep up the 180 spm cadence, that had me at about 9 min/m and that would let me do that no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment