Saturday, May 14, 2011

Crank it right past 10 to 11.


Yep you heard me.  I was going to do 10 this week because I did 9 last week but I found a group called Team Ortho that is organizing the Marathon/Half that I might run at the ending of my training that has training runs.  The setup on the long run of the week and people can come run on a new course each week and there are water stations along the way.  It was nice to explore a nice running area and not have to worry about needing to have water with me.  However, the run they were doing this week was 11 so I went with it.  It was terrible weather, 45 F, cloudy, windy, rainy, ie not so fun.  I kept a good pace and felt great until around mile 8 it started getting really tough and around mile 9.5 I felt like I hit "the wall" because all of a sudden I had nothing left in my legs, no energy what so ever and I thought I was going to have to stop.  The only thing that kept me going was the mental aspect and telling myself not to quit and then it was over and I had a new rush of energy which carried me to the end.  I finished in 1:50:39 and although my glutes and hamstring felt incredibly awkward and painful, I was happy I woke up early to do this run.

I cannot believe I ran that far for that long today.  Anytime I had ever heard someone talk about running 10 miles, I couldn't comprehend that distance on foot.  Hell until about 1.5 months ago I couldn't comprehend running for more than an hour.  Then today I put out almost 2 hours worth of running in terrible conditions and really only needed about 20 more minutes and I had a half marathon.  One step at a time, but this is somewhere I always wanted to try and get to but was always too scared to do it.  Not anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment