Monday, May 2, 2011

10k Wrap Up

So Saturday morning I woke up around 5:30 and grabbed some coffee and a bowl of cereal.  After the previous weekend I knew I'd want to eat something.  The weather outside was awful.  It was low 50's and rainy but I had already made the committment and wasn't going to back out.  We headed down to the park at about 7:15 which was nice because even though we were early, we got a decent parking spot and just waited in the car since the rain was coming down pretty hard.  By the time the race began, the rain and slow to barely a drizzle.  The first mile was a little tough but I was starting to get loose and avoid all the people (I think there was something like 5000 people between the 10k and 1/2 marathon which started together).  By mile 2 I was feeling much better although I knew something was up and by mile 3 I knew I had no choice but to stop at a restroom (I'll spare you any further details).  I timed my stop because I don't really want to count something that has nothing to do with how long I was actually running.  It was 2:30 after waiting for a few people.  I got back out there and of course my legs had gotten stiff from wainting around so the next mile or so was spent getting lose again.  Once I began crossing the bridge to the finish line I got a boost of energy and began to up my pace and per the way I like to finish my run, I sprinted about the last 100 or 200 yards.  I finished with an official time of 1:00:38.  I was hoping to get under and hour and still almost did even with the bathroom break.  Now since I timed my stop, I know that my total running time was really 58:08 and since I'm not competing for any prize other than my own pride, that is the time I will be using. (Plus my friend who used his Garmin said the course was really about 6.27 miles and I'm not couting that).  My pace at the 4 mile point was 9:25 mm and at the finish it was 9:23 mm.  That means the last 2.2 miles I actually ran 9:19 mm which is about the best pace I've ever kept especially after running 4 to start.  Guess race day added some adrenaline.

Weight didn't move this week, although on Sunday morning I was down about 3 lbs but not today, I guess my body held on to everything I ate and drank yesterday to recover from the race even though I didn't eat all that poorly.  It ok because the other day I found some shirts on the other side of my closet I had been holding onto that I liked but didn't fit anymore.  I grabbed them and tried them on and they fit great now, even a little loose so it was still a victory.

I would also like to send out a big thank you to the troops for the last 10 years that have been fighting to find Osama Bin Laden and a big thanks to those who tracked him down and got rid of him yesterday.  The biggest bastard on the Earth is gone and I think everyone can rejoice in that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment