Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day

Well let me say I had a great weekend.  I took Friday off and was extremely productive.  I got up and went to Home Depot getting all kinds of things I needed to spruce up my yard.  Then I went and got a sports massage and an oil change.  Then  I went to pick up some last minute mother's day gifts.  Finally I came home and went to work on fixing up the yard.  Friday night I kept it pretty low key and Saturday morning I got up ready to do the 9 miler.  It went well and I tried to slow it down some because I felt I was killing myself on my previous long runs where I came in at around 9:40 mm where this time I went for closer to 10 mm.  I came in right at 1:30:08 so almost on the nose.  The last two miles were still incredibly difficult and although the course feels flat for the most part, after looking at the elevation profile, it looks like it is slowly downhill on the way out and uphill most of the way back.  There are only a few parts where it is really visible but I'm guessing that is why the last two miles are so killer each week.  I felt good after the run but my feet were killing me and had some blisters.  I decided to go to the running store to see if it was time for a new pair of shoes and although I may have some mileage left on them, I did get a new pair of shoes which feel great.  When trying them on I put the new shoe on the left and the old on the right and when standing up straight, the added cushioning on the left shoe was making that leg about 1/2" longer so I figured my others were pretty worn out.

Sunday was obviously mother's day and so I went over to my grandma's house where everyone gathered to have some food and visit.  I haven't seen most of my family besides my mom and dad since christmas. Now let me just say I have the greatest and most supportive mom ever and she tells me all the time how great I look.  However, it felt great that everyone noticed at the family get together and were blown away that I had run 9 miles the day before and was alive to talk about it. 

The scale didn't drop as far as I had hoped but I didn't eat especially well over the weekend so it was somewhat expected.  I did do better so that counts for something and as long as I'm still going down I'm happy because I will get there.  Maybe not as fast as I'd like but I will get there.  I'm thinking about increasing my number of workouts just to give a boost to the calories and probably making them strength training to add some muscle to increase the RMR.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment