Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ready for the race

Yesterday was a great day.  I was driving home and looked down at my temperature gauge only to see that it was 41 out and figured if there was ever going to be a day to get a run outside in before the race it was now.  I've had worries that my stride sensor was not being accurate but its tough to tell on the indoor track.  So yesterday I turned on the GPS and ran.  I went the full 5k and did it in 28:56.  Thats right it was even faster than I had run indoors and that was with a pretty decent hill to climb on the way back.  The first half was in 14 mins so I figure I can maybe even hit 28 on the 5k because it is a flat course and that hill on the way back took a lot out of me and probably dropped me the extra minute.  But the run felt great and gave me a ton of confidence.  Normally I have to have water every mile as well when on the track because I get so dried out and I ran with a camelbak yesterday and didn't have to touch it once.  Hopefully the weather will keep nice for the run and thankfully we are only getting an inch or two of snow which had once been predicted to be 8-10 inches.  I can't wait for the race but for now I know I've run a for sure 5k faster than I wanted to and it can only get better from here.

Side note I had dinner with my parents who I hadn't seen in a while and they were pointing out how good I looked and could tell how much I'd lost weight.  And even though it their obligatory response, it still felt good to hear.  Its harder for those around you to really see a difference but when someone knows you well and hasn't seen you in a little while they can really see it.  I'm not quite seeing it yet but I know its there and I need to take some pictures and post them here.  I took some in the beginning of February and I'll take some tomorrow and try to get them posted.  I know its there because my shirts are looser, my pants fit better, and the 3XL shirt that kind of kicked this whole thing is now too big on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment