Thursday, March 17, 2011

X-training day

So I had the option of a 2 mile run today or cross training for 30 mins.  I choose the longer workout and with a recently purchased pair of trunks I jumped in the pool.  I haven't gone swimming in forever, mainly because I'm overweight but also because I haven't gone out and gotten a pair of swim trunks that fit in probably 5 years.  I was mainly doing the front crawl and did a few laps of breast stroke.  At first I was going to fast and was wearing myself out at the end of each lap.  Then I timed myself to see how long each length of the pool was taking and it was right around 35 seconds.  I knew that was way too fast for 25m and started doing some math in my head to slow myself down to a pace that would be good enough to finish the limited time Ironman swim.  Now I can't go that far for that long but I probably could keep that pace for about 30 mins.  That is just over 77 laps and with a time limit of 2 hrs 20 mins, That puts me at just under 2 mins per lap.  Once I slowed down to this pace I was able to keep swimming fairly continuously.  It was a tough workout but I enjoyed it and am looking forward to swimming being my cross training from now on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment