Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Something I haven't mentioned

Yesterday was the beginning of the Hal Higdon Half marathon training.  The novice program is setup to be 12 weeks long.  I don't have a race planned but I'm still doing the training anyways because I want to be able to run that far first.  So Mondays are either a rest day or strength training day and so instead of slacking I went and did some weights.  Nothing too crazy but I can feel it today.  I'm looking forward to building myself up and although my weight is still a focus mainly so I continue to be mindful of what I eat.  I believe that with time and discipline to this program it will come. 

One thing I don't think I've talked about much on here is that I have sleep apnea.  I wanted to get tested for it right out of college but the doctor didn't really think it was necessary.  Then after a couple years and being at the point where everyday was a struggle to get up and make it through the entire day without being completely exhausted I got tested.  I was moderate to severe and needed a CPAP machine.  That was in November 2009.  I thought I would have all this energy and be ready to attack my weight issues but I didn't and the machine while working some was still not making me feel how I knew I should feel.  I had another sleep study in October 2010 and my pressure needed had gone up (and so had my weight) and from some research I had done online, I asked the doctor to prescribe an AutoPAP machine which adjust the pressure throughout the night.  Since then I've felt great and it really makes a difference in being able to workout.  I have the energy to attack it at the end of the day which I never had before.  I hope to get rid of the sleep machine someday and it looks like with my weight loss that is already beginning to happen.  I originally was a pressure of 11 when diagnosed and after my second sleep study I was a 14 and the autopap would go higher than that sometimes.  Since beginning to workout and lose weight the autopap has been lowering the pressure and as of this morning it was a 9.8.  That is a huge difference.  Also I measured my resting heart rate yesterday and it was a 51.  It has never been that low as far as I know and from what I read the less your heart has to beat, the less stress on it and over the course of a life the longer it will last.

No comments:

Post a Comment